Sunday, December 23, 2012

Book Review: How to Date An Alien by Magan Veron









How To Date An Alien (My Alien Romance)

Author: Magan Vernon

Purchase on Smashwords and Amazon.

Add to Your Goodreads Shelf.

Synopsis: High school senior Alex Bianchi's estranged father gets her an internship at Circe Operations Center to pad her college applications. But Circe isn't your typical military base. It's an alien-run operation center and not all of the aliens are friendly, especially the one that tries to kill Alex on her first day. When Ace, a dark-eyed Caltian, enters and saves the day, she can't help but be drawn to him. Can these star-crossed lovers survive when they're on the brink of intergalactic war?

Brought to you by TeamNerd Reviewer Bridget Strahin

Review: To love this book or to not love this book. . . That is a very good question.
Alex, an out spoken Italian girl out of place in a preppy school is just trying to get the heck out of dodge. And her only hope is to get into her Ivy-League dream. Now if only she can get that scholarship . . .

Fortunately, she gets an internship at her father's military base, with hopes that a nice summer internship will get her the scholarship. But the military base is waaaaay more than what she signed up for. Orange aliens, slimy aliens, drop dead gorgeous aliens, oh my my my!

Now, I'm just gonna stop with the re-cap right there in fear of sounding repetitive, I'm just going to break down my likes then dislikes. It's better this way. Trust me.

Now, I have read several novels about aliens in my time and this one was one of the more well developed and fleshed out ones. I was instantly drawn to the fact that Vernon used what I would call "real" aliens in her world. She had different species of aliens with orange flesh and slimy tentacles and some that were really small, while others were really big and could snap you like a twig. It definitely had a Men In Black feel to it, which I loved.

I also have to talk about author's writing. I will say that Indie books and I have had a love-hate relationship lately and this book--with the way it was written--is in the love category. Vernon did a great job describing Alex's surroundings and the people around her; it felt like I was in the story with her.  It was refreshing, ya know?

Ace! A Caltian alien from the planet Calta. He's pretty much the big guy on campus because everyone is afraid of his mommy. Which doesn't make him over cocky or jerkish in any way. He's still humble and sweet and . . . yummy. Alex's first ten minutes on the military base and she gets attacked by Magpie. Ace jumps to the rescue and saves her and it's all about the swoon from here folks. Alex is chosen by Ace to work in the security office and a fast paced relationship is born.

Speaking of fast paced relationships. This one just slayed me. It seriously takes like two encounters with Ace for Alex to realize that she's head over space boots for him. I understand that the plot was Alex falling for the Caltian but come on! I felt like this relationship was rushed and forced. It was hardly believable. Alex seemed to be more obsessed with Ace’s muscles and eyes, constantly overdoing it with description, seeming to care more about how wonderfully amazing they were then about who Ace was.

Then there was Alex. She had the potential of becoming a very likable lead female. But I just hated her. After the sixth chapter, I threw all expectations of her to the wolves and hoped for the best. I thought it was weird that she was Ivy-League bound because you really couldn't tell by her thoughts. Maybe she's a really good test taker???? She was whinny, bratty, self absorbed. She cared about herself and her wants and that was it. Sure, she said she loved Ace, but I didn't think she was genuine in any way. I think she wanted Ace just because he was super hot and had dark eyes that just drank her in. *Eye roll*. I was really bothered by her.

But don't let her ruin the book for you. I didn't. For the most part, you’ll just have to ignore her and try to focus and enjoy the rest of the story, even though it is told in her POV.

There were also some supporting characters, none of which were too memorable, and an intergalactic battle(yaaaaawn). I can't say this book was a total let down all together, with some polish, ka-booms, and a better lead female, I'd say this book would be worth five stars. As it stands, this novel was a good first attempt by an author who is sure to improve with time.

Now, will I read the next installment? Probably--Probably not. It honestly depends on the mood I'm in that day because I don't think I would have anything to gain from reading another book in Alex's POV. Now, if the book is in Ace's POV. Yes, I will for sure read it. No doubt.


Author Bio: Self-proclaimed geek-to-glam poster child who channels her inner geek by writing science fiction for teens even though she slept with a night light until she was in middle school for fear of alien attacks. She now lives with her husband, daughter, and dog in central Illinois where she still sleeps with a night light...just in case.


Where to Find the Author

Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TeamNerd Features!