Thursday, February 28, 2013

Teaser Thursday: Hexbound (Dark Elite Series, #2) by Chloe Neill




Hexbound (Dark Elite Series #2)

Author: Chloe Neill


Purchase on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Synopsis: Lily Parker is new to St. Sophia’s School for Girls, but she’s already learned that magic can be your best friend . . . or your worse enemy.

So they say absolute power corrupts absolutely. But it turns out even a little bit of magic can turn you to the dark side. That’s why Lily has to learn how to control her newly discovered abilities and quickly, on top of avoiding the snobs who think they run her school, nursing a crush on a cute sophomore with a big, werewolf-y secret, and fighting the good fight with her best friend Scout as they take on Chicago’s natiest nightlife—including the tainted magic users known as the Reapers.

All that’s even before Lily’s invited to a private meeting with Sebastion. He’s hot, he’s powerful, and he’s offering to help her harness the magic flowing through her veins in a way that no one else can.

He’s also a Reaper.

Lily can’t help but be suspicious of his offer. But she also needs his help. It seems that the line between good and evil isn’t quite so clear as she thought . . .


SNEAK PEEK

“Wasn’t ‘The Legend of Sleepy Hollow’ supposed to take place in New York?”

I frowned. “I don’t know. Was it?”

“I wanna say we learned that last year in English.” He shrugged. “I don’t know. Could be wrong. Anyway, if it was, probably says a lot about upstate New York, right?”

“Are you suggesting I was living in a fairy land?”

“Well, at least a land with headless horsemen.” He dropped my hand and half turned around, fingers arched into claws. “Headless horsemen who cut the heads off fair maidens in the night!” He tweaked my waist, just enough to make me yelp. I batted his hands away.

Scout glanced back, eyebrow arched. “What’s going on back there?”

“Nothing,” I said. “Some dork is trying to scare me with tales of murderous creatures.”

She snorted. “What, ‘cause that’s so different from an average Monday around here?”

“Seriously, right?”

“People,” Jason said, “I’m busy trying to work my mojo.”

Michael turned around and offered Jason his fist, and they did a manly knuckle-bump thing.
Scout and I simultaneously rolled our eyes. But before I could respond, Jason grabbed my hand again and pulled me to a stop. My stomach fluttering, I kept my eyes on Scout and Michael, who continued in front of us, flashlights bobbing until they realized we weren’t following behind.

Scout looked back. “What’s up, peeps?”

“Could you, maybe, give us a minute?” Jason asked.

“You are not serious.”

“Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find time to kiss an Adept?”

Scout blew out a dramatic breath that puffed out her cheeks, grabbed Michael’s hand, and pulled him down the hall. “Fine. Have a hot make-out session. But we’re going to be like twenty feet down the hallway. I hope they get eaten by one of those headless horsemen,” she muttered. “Or the Chicago version, anyway.”

As they walked down the hallway, I kept my gaze on them, still too nervous to look at Jason.

“What would that be exactly?” I heard Michael ask.

“What would what be?”

“The Chicago version of the headless horseman?”

“Oh, I don’t know. Maybe a fangless vampire? Or—a werewolf with mange?”

“We can still hear you!” Jason called out. “And werewolves don’t get mange!”

That earned him a huff from Scout. I finally screwed up my courage and looked back at Jason.

He had the bluest eyes I’d ever seen. But they weren’t royal blue or the blue you’d see in the middle of a rainbow. They were so blue they were nearly turquoise, the color so deep it seemed that he stared out with precious jewels instead of irises.

Currently, those crazy eyes were trained on me. His lips curled, the dimple at the corner of his mouth puckering as he smiled.

My nerves tumbling, I kept things light.

“So you’re trying to kiss an Adept?”

“Very, very diligently,” Jason said. Before I could get out a snarky answer, he was dipping his head. His lips found mine, his mouth soft and warm. He put his hands at my waist and missed me until I felt a little lightheaded, until my heart fluttered in my chest. I’d been kissed before, sure, but I hadn’t been kissed like this. Not by him, since we’d been interrupted when he’d tried to kiss me before. And not like my feet were going to lift off the ground and I was going to float right up to the ceiling.

I almost opened my eyes to make sure that hadn’t happened—I mean, we were Adepts, after all.

Jason sighed and wrapped his arms around my back, and we kissed in the darkness beneath Chicago.

At least until Scout let out a “Holy crap!” that poured through the tunnel. 
~Lily and Jason (Chapter 2 pgs. 17-19)

You can also check out the Teaser Thursday to Firespell, the first book in the Dark Elite Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TeamNerd Features!