Sunday, July 21, 2013

I HEART YA: Guest Post: An Action Packed Romance! by Wendy Knight

Author Wendy Knight discusses how balancing writing action and romance is a personal thing and why both are such important elements to creating a good story.

The awesome girls here at TeamNerd Reviews asked me to write a guest post about balancing romance and action in my stories. That made me giggle, because I had absolutely no idea. Clearly, this was going to require soul searching.

So I soul searched. And after all the soul searching (which was done sitting in a hallway waiting for a spider to leave our only working bathroom), I decided this: Balance is personal. Very profound, yes? What I mean is that I might think my novel, Feudlings, has the perfect balance of romance and action, but I’m sure there are others out there who (gasp!) think there isn’t enough romance and I need to up the heat level. Everyone has their own preferences, and I think all you can do is write what makes you happy. Or at least, that’s what I do.

There is sort of a limit though. I mean, too much kissing and the story goes nowhere. Too much action and you lose the plot, and potentially the reader. There needs to be some of both to connect with the characters and get swept into the storyline.


Feudlings is about a three hundred year old war, so there are lots of battle scenes. But it’s also got a Romeo and Juliett sort of theme – so there is a definite need for romance when the two main characters fall in love, even though they’re supposed to kill each other. Without the romance, it would just be a book about a war. Without the war, it would just be a book about high school (which, admittedly, is brutal all by itself). It needs both to make the story complete.

Enter to win an e-copy of FEUDLINGS under the E-copies Giveaway Pile on the I HEART YA page!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

TeamNerd Features!